UF's Academic Advising Mission
The university is committed to quality academic advising for all students. The academic advising mission is to assist you to attain your educational goals. New students are required to attend and will receive advising during Preview, UF’s new student orientation. After Preview, student advising is handled by college advisers.
University Responsibilities: The Academic Advising Center in 100 Farrior Hall is responsible for certain university advising functions: coordinating academic advising during Preview, advising exploratory students and providing advice to students interested in postbaccalaureate professional programs such as dentistry, law, medicine and veterinary medicine.
College/School and Department Responsibilities: The dean of each college or school ultimately is responsible for ensuring that academic advice is available and accessible to all students within the college or school.
Student Responsibilities: To graduate, you are responsible for knowing and fulfilling all university, college and major requirements. All students must:
- Attend the Preview orientation program to receive academic advising before their first term of enrollment,
- Maintain a GatorLink email address and read official university correspondence sent to this address,
- Meet with an adviser in the appropriate college/major upon entrance to a major,
- Confer with an adviser on a regular basis about options for a major if the student is undecided about a major,
- Review the degree audit each semester to ensure they fully understand their remaining degree requirements,
- Seek advising when in academic difficulty (e.g., below a 2.0 GPA, doing poorly in a critical-tracking course), and
- Maintain their own personal academic records, including transcripts, degree audits, evaluation of transfer work and notes from previous advising sessions.
Students who at any time are confused about academic requirements or their progress toward a degree are encouraged and expected to meet with an adviser.
Academic Advising Contacts at UF
Back to Top
Back to Top