Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Office of the University Registrar

  • College of Health and Human Performance

    Home Degree Requirements Majors & ALCs Minors Certificates

    Academic Contract

    An academic contract is an agreement between the student and advisor that identifies specific actions (grades needed, specific course completion, etc.) which must be completed during an assigned semester or date.

    A student may have only one academic contract as a lower-division student and one contract as an upper-division student. A student cannot have an academic contract for consecutive semesters. While on academic contract, no I, N or NG grades are permitted.

    Calculate Semester GPA

    Failure to meet the academic contract can result in, and is not limited to, one or more of the following actions:

    • A college hold preventing future registration
    • Cancelation of HHP course registration, and/or
    • Change to a new major

    Admission Requirements

    Students classified as first-semester freshmen at the university will be admitted to the college when they declare a major within the college. At that time, their college classification will become HH.

    Students maintain the HH classification as long as they meet the standards set by the college and UF for admission and critical-tracking. Students who are not making satisfactory academic progress may be required to seek admission to another college or to make alternative academic plans.

    Students who fall below minimum performance standards will have a registration hold placed on their record. They must meet with an advisor to determine a plan of action before the hold will be removed.

    Back to Top

    Change of Major

    To be considered for a change in major, students must meet the following criteria:

    Lower-division Students

    • Minimum UF GPA
    • Minimum critical-tracking GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • No deficit points
    • Completion of the Letter of intent
    • Must have the ability to complete all tracking requirements by the required tracking term

    Upper-Division Students

    • Minimum UF GPA
    • Minimum critical-tracking GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • No deficit points
    • Ability to graduate within 138 credits or 8 semesters (not including summer) without exceeding the maximum credits per semester. (excludes AP/IB courses not needed for HHP degree program)
    • Completed 75% of all critical-tracking courses for the desired major
    • Met all writing requirements
    • Completed a minimum of 27 credits of the general education requirement
    • Completion of the Letter of intent

    Transfer students will not be permitted to change majors into the college.

    In addition to the above, the following applies to current and/or previous HHP majors:

    • Current HHP majors may not change to another HHP major unless they currently meet that major's criteria.
    • Students who were dismissed from a college major cannot change out of HHP and then be re-accepted to the college as a change of major.
    Back to Top
    Combined Degree (4-1) Program

    The combined degree is available with the Bachelor of Science in Health Education, Tourism, Event and Recreation Management, and Sport Management. The combined degree provides academically talented students the opportunity to complete their bachelor’s and master’s degrees within the same major in a shorter period of time. The combined degree in health education and behavior is open to all majors. The combined degrees in recreation, parks and tourism and sport management are limited to majors only. Students should review department guidelines for requirements and criteria needed for successful application. Students should apply for the program as a second semester sophomore/first semester junior. Students should discuss this option early with their academic advisor and then contact the appropriate program’s graduate coordinator for more information.

    Critical-Tracking Courses

    All critical-tracking courses must be taken at the University of Florida.

    • All critical-tracking attempts will be counted toward the critical-tracking GPA.
    • Students may retake a critical-tracking course one time only.
    • All critical-tracking courses must be completed by the time noted in the catalog for each major.
    • Completing tracking courses beyond the specified time is at the advisor's discretion and must be approved by the advisor in advance.
    • Any students completing tracking courses during the first semester of the junior year cannot complete any upper-division HHP courses that semester.

    Dean's List
    Back to Top

    Deficit Points

    Academic dismissal from the college denies registration privileges to students who have a grade point deficit of 15 or more in their upper-division coursework. The student will be dismissed from the college and a hold will be placed on registration.

    A student who has been dismissed from the college due to grade point deficit will not be considered for readmission.

    Drop Policy

    During drop/add, courses can be dropped without penalty. After drop/add, courses may be dropped only through the college’s petition process in accordance with university deadlines.

    Before completing 60 credits of coursework, students are allowed two unrestricted drops after drop/add. After the completion of 60 credits of UF coursework, students also are allowed two unrestricted drops after drop/add. Students seeking to drop all classes do not have to petition the college; dropping all classes is considered withdrawal and is processed through the Office of the University Registrar in 222 Criser Hall.

    If a student is registered for one course only and is seeking to drop that course, this is considered a withdrawal because the student is dropping all courses that semester. Refer to the college withdrawal policy.

    Back to Top

    Dual Degree or Double Major

    The college can permit students to pursue dual degrees in multiple majors.

    To request a dual degree the student must:

    • Have between 45 and 96 credits (excluding AP, IB, dual enrollment or overseas study credit),
    • Have a minimum 3.0 UF GPA at the time the application is submitted, if at least one of the majors is in this college,
    • Meet all critical-tracking requirements for the HHP major requested. If one of the majors is outside the college, applicants must get approval from the appropriate college,
    • Meet all other college progression standards for both majors and demonstrate potential for success in both majors (successful completion of major and major-related courses without excessive W's, grades less than C or multiple repeats),
    • Be able to complete both degrees within 138 credits or eight semesters (not including summer) without exceeding the maximum credits per semester. (Excludes AP/IB courses not needed for HHP degree program.) Additional study is permitted only with the associate dean’s approval, and
    • Have demonstrated a well-articulated educational goal for which the double major or dual degree is appropriate and/or necessary.

    Request for Additional Semesters

    Students who wish additional semesters must complete the general petition request and submit it with the graduation plan to their academic advisor.

    The request requires:

    • Minimum 2.0 UF GPA
    • Minimum critical-tracking GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Minimum upper-division GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Minimum major GPA as designated by department curriculum
    Back to Top

    First Aid and CPR

    All students are required to have current first aid, adult CPR and AED certification (American Red Cross or American Heart Association) at the time of registering for internship.

    • Students pursuing athletic training (AT) must be current in first aid and emergency cardiac care prior to registering for AT coursework. Please refer to the guidelines for appropriate emergency cardiac care certification.
    • Students in the Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management are required to have child and infant CPR certification in addition to the above requirements.
    • 100% online recertification is not acceptable.

    Fresh Start Program

    This program is for former degree-seeking students who wish to return to the university after an absence of no fewer than five calendar years. During this absence the student should have engaged predominately in non-academic activities. Students who wish to apply under the Fresh Start Program should follow the UF guidelines.

    Back to Top

    Grade Appeals

    Any student in the college who feels his or her performance in a course has not been evaluated accurately should discuss any concerns with the instructor first. If the disagreement is not resolve, the student should consult the department chair, and if still unresolved, contact the associate dean for academic affairs.

    The college is a strong supporter of the university’s equal opportunity program. Any student who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, age or national origin should contact the associate dean for academic affairs.

    Graduation Participation

    All requirements for the bachelor’s degree must be completed successfully prior to graduation to participate in graduation ceremonies, including the successful completion of an internship, if required. The college will determine who is eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony. Students must participate in the ceremony that corresponds to the semester they graduate. Students cannot participate in an earlier (walk early) or later ceremony; there are no exceptions.

    Health Insurance

    All students must secure health insurance or a signed health insurance disclaimer before they begin their internship.

    Back to Top


    The university offers three levels of honors at graduation: cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude.

    Please note that:

    • Transfer credits and S-U option credits are excluded.
    • Postbaccalaureate students are not eligible for honors recognition.
    • Honors recognition is printed on the university diploma.

    Follow these guidelines when preparing an honors thesis:

    • Submission of an undergraduate thesis to request graduation with magna cum laude or summa cum laude must reflect a high caliber of work.
    • The thesis submission form should be secured to the thesis as the first page. This form must be completed with a typewriter or computer; handwritten forms will not be accepted.
    • When completing the submission form, pay special attention to the Key Words entry, as these words will be used to index the thesis. Think of these words as instrumental in leading a potential reader to the thesis.
    • The thesis should be stapled or secured with a binder clip. Binders and folders are discouraged, as they will be discarded when the thesis is filed on microfiche.
    • Have the abstract reviewed for organization, content, grammar and spelling before submission.
    • The abstract should begin with a definitive statement of the problem or project. The purpose, scope and limit of the thesis should be clearly delineated. Then, as concisely as possible, describe research methods and design, major findings, the significance of your work (if appropriate) and conclusions. The abstract should be 100-200 words.
    • Students whose thesis involves creative work such as original fine art, music, writing, theatre, film or dance should describe process and production, indicating the forms of documentation on file as thesis materials.
    • Type the abstract into the space allotted on the submission form.

    Looking for help writing a thesis? The honors program recommends Conquering Your Undergraduate Thesis by Nataly Kogan. This book offers helpful and practical advice from fellow students and recent graduates.

    HHP honors thesis submission deadlines: Honors thesis/graduation requirements are completed during the last one or two semesters at UF. The final thesis submission is due to the college's associate dean for academic affairs three days before the last day of classes. Refer to the department for process information:

    Back to Top

    Incomplete Grades

    An incomplete grade may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor as an interim grade for a course in which the student has completed a major portion of the course with a passing grade, been unable to complete course requirements before the end of the term (e.g., before the final exam is taken) because of extenuating circumstances and obtained agreement from the instructor and arranged for resolution of the incomplete grade. I grades are not to be used when the student is doing unsatisfactory work and the instructor wants to provide another chance to improve. Instructors are not required to assign incomplete grades.

    The I grade arrangement should stipulate all conditions for completing the course and earning a letter grade, including a specific expiration date for the arrangement and designation of the grade to be assigned for incomplete work. I grade arrangements should be recorded on a standard contract form, kept in a file in the department’s central office and monitored by staff, so that the appropriate grade changes will be made by the end of the following semester. This practice will be particularly useful if the instructor is on leave or has left UF permanently.

    If make-up work requires classroom or laboratory attendance in a subsequent term, the student should not register for the course again. Instead, the student must audit the course and pay course fees. Students who need to audit a course should be referred to the registrar’s office to complete audit registration.

    If the make-up work does not require classroom or laboratory attendance, the instructor and student should decide on an appropriate plan and deadline for completing the course.

    When the course is completed or the arrangement has expired, the instructor will submit a change of grade to the Office of the University Registrar. An I grade should not be assigned to a student who never attended class; instead, instructors may assign a failing grade or no grade at all, which will result in assignment of N*.

    The only time a letter grade should be changed to an I is when the instructor made an error in the grade. For example, there is an I grade arrangement on file for the student, but the instructor forgot and recorded an E instead. The college will approve such grade changes only when clear instructor error has occurred and when the grade is submitted with a copy of the I grade arrangement, which must be dated prior to the final exam period for the course.

    These procedures cannot be used to repeat a course for a different grade.

    Back to Top


    Prior to graduation, all students - except athletic training students - are required to complete a full semester of internship. This requirement is completed during the semester of expected graduation, after successful completion of all other required coursework (see below). Credits for this requirement are included in the credit total required for graduation. Students will not be granted permission to participate in the graduation ceremony prior to successfully completing the internship experience. Refer to graduation participation, above.

    Students are eligible to complete the internship semester if they have:

    • Successfully completed ALL other required courses and are therefore eligible to graduate upon completion of the internship semester (includes majors, minors, flexible learning, general education, writing requirements, international/diversity and study abroad)
    • Secured professional liability insurance
    • Current certification in First Aid and CPR (or equivalent) and AED
    • UF upper-division cumulative, major and critical-tracking GPA of at least a 2.0, with no I, N or NG grades or flags.
    • No deficit points
    • All grades posted to UF transcript two weeks before starting internship.
    • Submitted all internship materials by the department deadlines and been approved by the department for internship.

    Upon submission of the required application for internship (as determined by the department), an academic advisor will determine whether or not the student is academically eligible to complete the internship during the desired semester. For in-depth information regarding internships, please contact a department internship coordinator.

    Students can only register and attempt to complete the practicum (if required by the major) and internship two times. If unable to complete successfully after two attempts, the student may be dismissed from the program.

    Back to Top

    Junior and Senior Status

    After reaching 60 credits, students who meet or exceed the 60-credit performance standards specified by the college and the major/department will retain their classification within the college. Juniors and seniors (3HH and 4HH respectively) will be monitored for progress toward the degree. All students must adhere to the policies of the college and the department to retain the HH classification.

    Athletic training is a limited access program and therefore requires students to apply during the spring term of their sophomore year. To be eligible to apply, students must meet all academic and clinical requirements. Students who are not selected for the competitive program will not be permitted to continue as an athletic training major and will be changed to the applied physiology and kinesiology (APK) major.

    Liability Insurance

    All students must secure professional insurance before they begin their internship. All athletic training students are required to maintain professional liability insurance throughout the program.

    Back to Top

    Maximum Credit Load

    UF policy allows a maximum of 18 credits; therefore, to exceed 18 credits, college policy requires students to have

    • 3.0 GPA in all categories (e.g., UF GPA, critical-tracking GPA),
    • One drop available, and
    • Academic advisor approval

    Non-Degree Requests

    The college follows the university’s Employee Education Program (EEP) policies. Non-degree enrollment is restricted to University of Florida employees during the fall and spring semesters only. For college credit and non-UF employees, enrollment is restricted to summer terms only. Non-degree enrollment is subject to the availability of faculty, space and facilities. No application for admission is required.

    Undergraduate students who have been denied admission to UF for any term are not eligible for non-degree registration. Students who have previously attended UF in a degree-seeking status who did not subsequently earn a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for non-degree registration.

    Visiting Students Attending UF: Undergraduate students in good standing at another accredited collegiate institution can enroll full time at UF as non-degree transient students to complete work to transfer back to the parent institution. The university and this college do not allow transient students during the fall and spring semesters.

    Non-degree Registration Request
    Back to Top

    Petition Request

    Students who are petitioning a department or college policy must complete the general petition request and submit it along with all required documentation to an academic advisor.

    The college's associate dean makes the final decision for graduation participation, internship eligibility, appeals of department petitions, change of major to the college and universal tracking transient course requests. These policies require petition review by an academic advisor, the department chair and/or department petitions committee or designated faculty member, and the college petitions committee. The associate dean for academic affairs or the college’s academic affairs representative will notify the student of the outcome/decision.

    Petitionable items at the department level include course substitutions, non-critical-tracking transient course requests, continuation in a major, department internship deadline, SUS summer requirement, residency requirement and readmission to a major.

    For all department-level petitions the academic advisor makes a decision or defers decision to the department chair and/or department petitions committee. If the academic advisor approves, no further action is needed by the department and the student is notified by the advisor. If the academic advisor denies or defers the petition, it is reviewed by the department petitions committee. If the department chair and/or department petitions committee reviews and approves the denied or deferred petition, the student will be notified of the decision by the academic advisor.

    If the department chair and/or department petitions committee denies the petition, the student can appeal to the college petition committee. Regardless of a recommendation to approve or deny, the petition will be reviewed for final decision by the associate dean for academic affairs. The student will be notified of the decision by the associate dean or the college’s authorized representative.

    If the petition is denied at the college level the student may contact the UF Ombuds Office and/or submit a senate petition, if appropriate.

    Back to Top

    Postbaccalaureate Status

    The university limits the options for postbaccalaureate studies to

    • Certificate program/state licensure
    • Teacher certification
    • Prerequisites for graduate study
    • Distance learning

    The college abides by the university's postbaccalaureate policy and therefore limits students to the above criteria. In addition, any student wishing to apply under item 3, prerequisites for graduate study, will be required to apply to a specific department, not the department that offers the course they wish to complete. For example: A student wishing to apply to the physical therapy graduate program who needs anatomy and physiology as prerequisites should apply to the College of Public Health and Health Professions as a postbaccalaureate student.

    Prerequisite Coursework

    The state of Florida has determined that the prerequisite coursework required for a major in the state university system (SUS) will be the same for all SUS schools offering the major. Generally, and in most cases, meeting the prerequisites for admission will be sufficient to meet any course prerequisites. UF students who follow the sequence of courses identified in the critical-tracking plan for their major will satisfy all course prerequisites for that major, provided they achieve the minimum grades required.

    Back to Top

    Progress toward Degree

    The college has identified specific performance standards to help students progress toward a degree.

    To meet these standards, students must:

    • Maintain a minimum 2.0 UF GPA
    • Maintain the minimum critical-tracking GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Maintain the minimum upper-division GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Maintain the minimum major GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Complete the degree within 138 credits or 8 semesters (not including summer) without exceeding the maximum credits per semester (excludes AP/IB courses not needed for HHP degree program).

    Request for Fifth Year

    Students who wish to receive a fifth year must complete the general petition request and submit it to their academic advisor along with a graduation plan.

    Students also must:

    • Maintain a minimum 2.0 UF GPA
    • Maintain the minimum critical-tracking GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Maintain the minimum upper-division GPA as designated by department curriculum
    • Maintain the minimum major GPA as designated by department curriculum


    To be considered for readmission to the College of Health and Human Performance, students must have a:

    • 2.0 UF GPA
    • 2.0 critical-tracking GPA, and
    • Upper-division GPA as determined by the department/major.

    Students who have been dismissed and/or on academic probation (with deficit points) will not be considered for readmission. Readmission is not automatic or guaranteed. In addition to the UF readmission application, applicants must also complete the college’s letter of intent.

    Back to Top

    Student Responsibility

    Each student is responsible for registering for and completing the proper courses and for fulfilling all requirements for a degree. The student’s advisor will help and counsel, but the student must take the initiative and assume responsibility for meeting all requirements.

    Course requirements for each major have been determined and approved by department faculty. The student’s program of study is subject to the approval of an advisor in the major.

    To make informed decisions and fulfill personal goals, students must take a responsible and active role in their own advising. More specifically, students must:


    • Understand the university’s and college’s academic requirements
    • Understand the requirements for the major and minor
    • Be familiar with general university academic and behavioral policies, and
    • Have a sense of academic and career interests, learning strengths and weaknesses and educational needs.


    • Meet as needed with advisor
    • Come to appointments on time
    • Register in a timely fashion
    • Follow through with registration, drop/add and withdrawals in a timely fashion
    • Review audit regularly
    • Check communication regularly, using a UFL email account
    • Respond to communication in a timely fashion, and
    • Be an effective self-advocate.


    • Work cooperatively
    • Be open to new ideas and be willing to explore curricular options
    • Be interested in and dedicated to the major, and
    • Believe in the value of responsibility and accountability.
    Back to Top

    Study Abroad

    The College of Health and Human Performance encourages students in good standing to study abroad. Students are required to meet with an academic advisor regarding degree requirements prior to registering for any study abroad program.

    Students wishing to study abroad must:

    • Be in good standing with a minimum 2.5 UF GPA (Students cannot be on academic contract nor under conditional admission.)
    • Have completed non-UF study abroad courses prior to term 7
    • Be in residence at UF for the last 30 credits. This applies to transient (non-UF, credit earning) programs.
    • Not delay or extend the UF timeframe of eight terms, excluding summer, for degree completion
    • Have transcripts& posted to UF before being cleared for internship.

    S-U Option

    Students are not permitted to complete required courses using the S-U option. However, courses that are not required for degree certification can be completed using the S-U option. Students choosing to complete a course with the S-U option are required to follow UF policy and deadlines.

    Transfer or Flexible Learning Credit

    Transfer and/or flexible learning course credit may be allowed even if taken after the student has been admitted to the major. These courses must be approved in advance by the academic advisor. Students are discouraged from taking such courses after 60 credits. As per UF policy, no more than six credits of flexible learning credit and/or a maximum of 60 credits of community college academic credit can apply toward a UF degree.

    In general, these courses are recorded on the transcript and can be used to meet core curriculum requirements if approved in advance by the department. At least 60 credits at the 3000 level or higher are required for all majors. Flexible learning and extension course credit are excluded from honors GPA calculation for the College of Health and Human Performance and will not be used to determine Dean’s List GPA.

    Back to Top

    Transfer Students

    For application information, all transfer students should refer to the admission as a transfer section. Within space and fiscal limitations, applicants from other institutions who have satisfied minimum requirements will be considered for admission at the junior level.

    Florida state college applicants to the College of Health and Human Performance must complete an Associate of Arts degree and meet all university and college-specific requirements. Admission evaluation factors include academic record, cumulative grade point average, performance in critical-tracking courses, extent to which the applicant exceeds minimum requirements, and achievements and career goals as stated in the letter of intent. The admission review process is a holistic review of the applicant’s overall record and potential in the chosen academic field. Students who complete preprofessional courses outside the state system (students who attend out-of-state, private and/or international institutions) must submit course descriptions to the department advisor.

    In addition to the UF transfer application, applicants must also complete the college's letter of intent. Transfer admission is limited and extremely competitive. Priority will be given to applicants who have completed an A.A. degree from a Florida public college, per the state of Florida articulation agreement.

    The departments of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management, and Health Education and Behavior accept transfer students during the fall and spring semesters only and on a limited basis because of space and fiscal limitations.

    Back to Top

    Transient Request

    Students are not permitted to complete critical-tracking courses as a transient student. Upper-division coursework taken as a transient student is discouraged and approvals will be at the discretion of the department. Students wishing to complete work at another institution must submit the college transient request and be approved by an advisor in advance of taking the course.

    After being approved at the college level, students may complete the UF transient request on the Florida Virtual Campus website.

    Withdrawal Policy

    An HHP student who withdraws from the university a second time, with a registration of more than one course that semester, will be placed on college probation. Probation terms will be determined by the advisor working with the student.

    Back to Top
school-pages: policies