Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Office of the University Registrar

  • College of Public Health and Health Professions

    Home Degree Requirements Majors & ALCs Minors Certificates


    Admission requirements vary for the different preprofessional career options; therefore, applicants should contact an academic advisor in the college to ensure appropriate academic planning.

    In addition to specific GPA and coursework requirements, all health science majors require evidence of commitment to the field. Students are encouraged to volunteer in a human services field to demonstrate this commitment. An interview may be required for admission to the college.

    Contact the Bachelor of Health Science office directly for additional admission information. The BHS office is located in the HPNP Building, room # 3189. Phone: 352.273.6379/p>

    Application Deadlines: The Bachelor of Health Science application deadline is February 1 for General Health Science, Pre-Occupational Therapy and Pre-Public Health admissions. Communication Sciences deadline is January 15. After the deadline has passed, student applications are considered on a space-available basis.

    Student Selection: Admission to the college at the junior level is limited and selective. Satisfaction of minimum GPA and course requirements does not guarantee admission to the junior level. A student’s total record, including educational objectives, courses completed, quality of academic record and application essay are considered when evaluating an applicant for admission.

    Native UF Student Admission

    Freshmen and Sophomores: Students can declare a major in one of the college’s undergraduate programs upon admission to the university. Progression standards include courses completed, cumulative and tracking GPAs, and academic conduct. Students apply for junior level limited access admission in their sophomore year.

    Juniors Level Admission: A formal application process is required for admission consideration. STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT an online program application for the major/specialization of interest and should carefully follow the instructions for the particular specialization.

    Students eligible for admission consideration at the junior level must

    • Earn at least 60 semester credits of acceptable college credit with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA for health science, pre-occupational therapy and public health, and a minimum 2.7 GPA for communication sciences and disorders on all college/university-level work attempted.
    • Complete all critical-tracking coursework with the required GPA. (Critical-tracking courses are listed in the semester plans under Majors in this catalog.)
    • Fulfill the general education requirements described in the Academic Advising section of this catalog. Specific course sequences for each program of study indicate how to fulfill these requirements while planning careers in public health and/or discipline-specific health professions.
    • Complete all writing requirements.
    • Submit a completed program application to the College of Public Health and Health Professions.
    • Complete all requirements by the end of spring for Summer B admission consideration or by the end of Summer A for fall admission consideration.
    Back to Top

    Transfer Student Admission

    Meeting minimum standards as freshmen and sophomores does not guarantee admission to the junior year within the college because space is limited.

    Application Materials: Non-UF students must apply to the University of Florida and to the College of Public Health and Health Professions for admission consideration at the junior year. These are separate applications. Students with questions should contact the dean’s office and speak with an advisor.

    Florida public college students must have:

    • Received the A.A. degree.
    • Completed all critical-tracking coursework with the required GPA (3.0 health science, pre-occupational therapy and public health; 2.7 for communication sciences and disorders).
    • Completed 60 semester credits of transferable college-level credit with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 for health science, pre-OT and public health, and a minimum 2.7 GPA for communication sciences and disorders.
    • Submitted a transfer application to UF.
    • Submitted a program application to the College of Public Health and Health Professions.
    Back to Top

    PHHP Academic Policies

    Double Majors/Dual Degrees

    PHHP does not offer a double major; however, students in this college can pursue an additional degree outside of the college. Students from other colleges can also consider a dual degree within PHHP. Permission of both colleges is required. Students are eligible to apply for a dual degree after they have completed 45 credits and before completion of 96 credits. Students must meet all requirements for both degrees.


    The college offers four minors: health science, disability science, public health, and communication sciences and disorders. These minors are open to students in other colleges who meet the prerequisite and GPA requirements. The minor form and course information are available from the college website.

    Specific minors are available to PHHP juniors and seniors based on the student's specialization, as noted below.
    Communication Sciences and Disorders Students: health science, disability science and public health minors.
    Health Science and Pre-OT Students: communication sciences and disorders and public health minors.
    Public Health Students: communication sciences and disorders minors.

    S-U Option

    The S-U option is not permitted for prerequisite or major courses; however, it can be used for electives.

    Back to Top

    BHS Program Probation / Off-Track Students

    Students who do not make sufficient progress toward program completion or students who demonstrate inappropriate professional conduct are considered to be off track. Off-track status means the student has not met all tracking criteria for the designated term. Students who are off track can be placed on college probation. The purpose of probation is to develop a plan to help the student return to good academic and/or professional conduct standing. Off-track students can be dismissed from the college based on the college's policy below.

    Freshmen and Sophomores: Freshmen and sophomores can be off track for one of two reasons: low GPA or missing or low grades in prerequisite or major courses.

    • All students who are off track at the end of any semester are required to meet with an academic advisor in the college to determine the steps needed to get back on track.
    • The academic performance of all off track students after two semesters will be reviewed by a college academic advisor. If, in the opinion of the advisor, the student could return to on-track status within one additional semester, the student will be considered for continuation in the college. Otherwise, the student will need to select a different major.
    • If a student fails to meet requirements to return to on-track status and/or is off track after three semesters, the student must withdraw from the major. Students who must withdraw from the college will be offered assistance in choosing a different major at the university.
    • Students dismissed from the college for academic reasons who believe they have remediated all college pre-application requirements by the deadline for the major have the right to apply for admission. However, dismissal from the college can be considered when making admissions decisions.
    • Regardless of the number of semesters the student is off track, if a student meets university guidelines for dismissal, that student can be dismissed consistent with university policy. Dismissal can be based on academic progression and/or honor code issues.
    Back to Top

    Juniors and Seniors: Students must receive minimum grades of C in all courses required for the major. Unsatisfactory grades, defined as grades lower than a C or grades of unsatisfactory in classes graded S-U, are grounds for probation and/or dismissal from the college. In addition, dismissal from the college can result from honor code violations.

    If a student in the college receives one grade of C- or lower in a college course, the student is placed on academic probation. Faculty will provide an opportunity for the student to make up material (e.g., through independent study, repeating the course, etc.). If the student receives at least a C in the course for which probation was implemented, the student will return to good academic standing. If the student receives a C- or lower while on probation, the student must withdraw from the program unless the college determines mitigating circumstances warrant a probationary extension. If a student receives the first and second C- or lower in the same term, the college has the right to dismiss the student without first offering probation.

    If a student receives a C- or lower in a second college course, regardless of whether this occurs in the same term or a different term as the first C- or lower, the student can be required to withdraw from the program. The student has the right to petition this decision.

    In order to petition the faculty committee, the student must provide the program director with a letter stating the reasons that the student should be allowed to remediate his or her academic performance. Upon successful petition and on a space-available basis, the student will be placed on academic probation and allowed to make up material in an appropriate manner determined by the instructor and program director (e.g., via independent study, course repetition, etc.)

    Following completion of this course with a minimum grade of C, the student can continue in the program. However, if the student again receives a C- or lower, the student must withdraw from the program. The college will help the student choose another major at UF, if desired, if he or she withdraws from a college major.

    In the first two cases above, the individual instructor is responsible for assigning student grades. The program director, in consultation with the instructor and program faculty as needed, is responsible for determining if a student who appeals a dismissal will be placed on academic probation or dismissed from the program. The student will be notified in writing of the director’s decision concerning academic probation or dismissal.

    If the student is placed on probation, the letter will include the activities that the student must successfully complete to remedy the academic deficiencies and the timeframe in which these activities must be completed. Failure to adhere to or to meet the terms of the letter constitutes grounds for dismissal from the program. The student will be offered assistance, if desired, to select a different major.

    If the student disagrees with the director’s decision regarding dismissal or the terms of the probation letter, the student may appeal in writing within one week to the associate dean overseeing academic affairs. The associate dean will review both the director’s decision and the student’s concerns and make a determination about academic probation/dismissal. Both the student and director have the right to further appeal to the dean, who will review the case in its entirety and make the final decision.

    Back to Top

    Changing Majors

    Freshmen and sophomores wishing to change majors must contact a college advisor in the new major. Juniors and seniors wishing to change majors in the college must contact the program director. If a student withdraws from the major, specific permission from the program and the college must be given at the time of withdrawal for the student to be eligible to re-enter the college.

    Health Policy

    The college requires evidence of ability to meet the physical and academic requirements of the program. Personnel in the Department of Student Health will test each student for sensitivity to tuberculosis. The Department of Student Health will verify immunization against diphtheria, rubella (German measles) and tetanus.

    All students must be immunized against Hepatitis B and varicella (chicken pox) or provide the Student Health Center with medical documentation that they have had chicken pox. All students must participate in annual bloodborne pathogen training, repeat their TB test annually if observing in a clinical setting, and be HIPAA compliant.

    Students registered in clinical courses must have hospitalization insurance. Full-time students are eligible for the health insurance plans sponsored by Student Government. Twelve-month coverage may be purchased at the time of registration.


    Required immunizations and other expenses are the student’s responsibility.

    Back to Top
school-pages: policies