About this Program
- College: Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Specializations: Agricultural Education | Communication and Leadership Development
- Credits for Degree: 120
- Additional Information
- Related Agricultural Education and Communication Programs
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
Two specializations are offered: agricultural education, and communication and leadership development. Each requires core technical agriculture courses and preprofessional education. Department advisors help students in selecting appropriate electives.
Students will learn the knowledge and skills needed to educate individuals, enhance leadership in communities and organizations and communicate ideas and issues to different audiences. Through formal courses and internship experiences, students will learn to apply principles of communication and educational theory to work-based settings; to create, interpret and analyze written and oral messages and multimedia presentations used in agricultural and life sciences; and to educate and communicate agricultural issues effectively to various audiences.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Agricultural education specialization: Achieve a passing grade on the state of Florida's Professional Knowledge Exam for teacher certification.
- Communication and leadership development specialization: Achieve a minimum grade of C in AEC 4052, the communication and leadership development capstone experience, as evaluated by a committee of faculty.
- Achieve minimum grades of C in AEC 3030C and AEC 3033C.
- Achieve a minimum grade of C in a department internship course (AEC 4942, AEC 4943, AEC 4944 or AEC 4948) or a capstone experience course (AEC 4052).
- Complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
Students Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Describe, explain and apply fundamental pedagogical concepts, skills and processes.
- Describe, explain and apply fundamental concepts, skills and processes in technical agriculture.
- Analyze and apply data from multiple assessments and measures to diagnose students’ learning needs, inform instruction based on those needs and drive the learning process.
- Critique and assess data-informed research to improve instruction and student achievement.
- Demonstrate written communication forms in a manner appropriate in agricultural education.
- Develop oral communication presentations in a manner appropriate in agricultural education.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3||SLO 4||SLO 5||SLO 6|
|AEC 3030C||I, R, A|
|AEC 3033C||I, R, A|
|AEC 3323||I, R|
|AEC 4200||I, R||I, R, A|
|AEC 4202||I, R||I, R, A||R|
|AEC 4224||I, R||R|
|AEC 4228||I, R||R|
|Fla DoE Agriculture Subject Matter Exam||A|
|Fla DoE Professional Certification Exam||A|
|Technical Agriculture Coursework||I, R|
- Technical agriculture coursework
- Clinical teaching and community profile assignments
- Florida Department of Education professional teaching certification exam
- Florida Department of Education Agriculture Subject Matter exam