About this Program
- College: Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Science
- Specializations: Animal Biology | Equine | Food Animal
- Credits for Degree: 120
- Additional Information
- Related Animal Sciences Programs
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
By choosing appropriate electives, students can earn a minor or a dual major in agribusiness management, extension education or agricultural operations management while completing the degree requirements for the equine or food animal specialization.
Animal sciences majors receive a broad education in the healthy production of animals and animal products. Students' knowledge will be developed through formal courses, laboratories and field trips and will be applied in internships, team projects and presentations. Students will develop the ability to apply conceptual knowledge to solve problems in animal production and to make management decisions.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Pass the animal sciences competency exam, given in three parts. One part will be given in each of these required courses:
Course List Code Title Credits ANS 3006 Introduction to Animal Science 3 ANS 3043 Growth and Development of Farm Animals 3 ANS 3319C Reproductive Physiology and Endocrinology in Domestic Animals 4
- Achieve minimum grades of C in AEC 3030C and AEC 3033C. These courses are graded using rubrics developed by a faculty committee.
- Complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
Students in the Major Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Describe and explain fundamental concepts, skills and processes in animal sciences.
- Apply fundamental concepts, skills and processes in animal sciences.
- Critically evaluate information (or data) in animal sciences.
- Solve problems in animal sciences.
- Effectively communicate in written form in a manner appropriate in animal sciences.
- Effectively communicate orally in a manner appropriate in animal sciences.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3||SLO 4||SLO 5||SLO 6|
|AEC 3030C||I, R, A|
|AEC 3033C||I, R, A|
|ANS 3319C||R||R||I||I, R||R|
|Academic Assessment Exam||A||A||A||A|