About this Program
- College: Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Specializations: Spanish | Portuguese | Spanish and Portuguese
- Credits for Degree: 120
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies endeavors to achieve excellence in research, teaching, and public service related to the languages, literature, and cultures of the areas and countries where Spanish and Portuguese are spoken.
P.O. Box 117405
170 DAUER HALL
GAINESVILLE FL 32611-7405
The Hispanic and Latin American Languages, Literatures and Linguistics major offers the opportunity to gain proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese, two of the most important languages spoken in the United States, the Western Hemisphere and the world. The department offers courses of study in language, culture, linguistics, and literature, as well as a series of courses in languages for the professions, which focus on medical, legal, business and other professional contexts.
By studying the literary and linguistic heritage of Spanish and Portuguese, students gain critical reading and writing skills that help them acquire and refine their abilities to speak, understand, read and write one of both of these languages.
The Spanish specialization focuses on the language and culture of Spain and Spanish-America, while the Portuguese specialization stresses the language and culture of Brazil, with complementary study of Portugal and Lusophone Africa. The combined specialization recognizes the increasingly prominent roles that Brazil, Spain and Latin America all play in international affairs, especially as they relate to Florida. Spanish- and Portuguese-speakers constitute the fastest growing immigrant populations in Florida. Studying both languages and cultures provide a competitive edge for those seeking careers in business, industry, tourism, health care, agricultural affairs, government, and education.
Coursework for the Major
The different specializations within the Hispanic and Latin American Languages, Literatures and Linguistics major require different coursework, depending on the student focus.
The Bachelor of Arts in Hispanic and Latin American Languages, Literatures and Linguistics enables students to achieve communicative competence in Spanish and/or Portuguese, with an emphasis on all four language skills: speaking, comprehension, reading, and writing. Students will become knowledgeable in the areas of Hispanic and Lusophone cultures, literatures and/or linguistics, and they will learn how to interpret Spanish- and/or Portuguese language texts according to their cultural, literary and linguistic content.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Complete all requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
- Satisfactorily complete a written assignment in a 4000-level course that includes the written analysis of a text according to its cultural, literary and/or linguistic content. The text analyzed and the analysis will be in Spanish/Portuguese.
- Satisfactorily deliver an oral presentation in Spanish/Portuguese on the topic of the written paper. Presentation will include answering questions from audience members.
Students in the Major Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Identify cultural correlates, literary production and/or linguistic structure of texts written in Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Analyze cultural correlates, literary production and/or linguistic structure of texts written in Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Demonstrate competence in written Spanish and/or Portuguese, including knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, orthography and appropriate stylistic conventions.
- Demonstrate communicative competence in spoken Spanish and/or Portuguese, including the ability to understand the spoken language, speak with correct grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation, and use appropriate registers.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3||SLO 4|
|SPN 2240; POR 3224||I||I||I||I|
|SPN 3300; POR 3242||R||R||R||R|
|SPN 3510/SPN 3520; POR 3500/POR 3502||I, R||I, R||I, R||I, R|
|SPN 3700; POR 3701||I, R||I, R||I, R||I, R|
|SPW 3030/SPW 3031/SPW 3100/SPW 3101||I, R||I, R||I, R||I, R|
|SPN or POR course, 4000 level||R, A||R, A||R, A||R, A|
|SPW or POW course, 4000 level||R, A||R, A||R, A||R, A|
- Written paper
- Oral presentation/discussion