Academic Progress Policies

Regulations for academic probation and dismissal follow the academic standards of the university and require the maintenance of grade point averages and reasonable conformance to a program of study.

A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required to graduate from any UF undergraduate degree program. Any college may specify additional academic standards and students are responsible for observing these regulations.

The probation and dismissal regulations that apply to undergraduate students also apply to postbaccalaureate students. Notations on the student’s academic record shall reflect all actions taken to enforce these regulations; some of these notations can be permanent.

The University of Florida considers students to be in good standing if they are eligible to continue or to re-enroll at the university, even if on probation.

Colleges may choose not to consider students for admission and may deny continuation in a degree program if the student fails to maintain reasonable academic progress, as specified by the college or department.

Policies on academic standing, probation and dismissal are based on the possibility that a student can overcome academic difficulty and make appropriate progress toward a degree.

Students may file a petition for a waiver of a deadline or regulation if they can document extenuating circumstances that led to their failure to meet or conform to the deadline/regulation.

In general, petitions for waiver of an academic regulation for the current term should be directed to the school or college in which the student is enrolled. For example, petitions to drop or add after the drop/add period should be presented to the school or college. Exceptions to the course load regulation are to be presented to the school or college. Petitions approved by the school or college must be reported to the Office of the University Registrar before the action is official.

All other petitions should be presented to the Office of the University Registrar, which will refer them to the University Student Petitions Committee. Petitions pertaining to academic records approved by the committee will be reflected on the student's transcript.

Students who have graduated are not eligible to petition. 

Per BOG Regulation 7.002(11), all requests for a refund of fees must be submitted to the university within six months of the close of the semester to which the refund is applicable. Any request for a refund of fees submitted outside this timeframe will not be reviewed.

Detailed information on petition procedures is available from the student's college or the Office of the University Registrar.
More Info

A student seeking waiver of a regulation through petition must remember that no petitions committee can direct an instructor to change a grade, nor can the University Student Petitions Committee require any college or school to grant a degree by waiving any regulation.

The intent of academic probation is to serve formal notice that a student may not be making satisfactory progress. The conditions of academic probation are intended to specify the achievement standards required to graduate, to identify unsatisfactory academic performance at an early date, to provide occasion for counseling, and to give students whose ultimate success is in question further opportunity to demonstrate their ability to meet academic expectations.

Academic probation can occur for the following reasons:

  • Students may be placed on probation by their college for failure to maintain normal academic progress in their degree program. College probation will be removed when the college determines that satisfactory academic progress has been demonstrated.
  • Undergraduate students with less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average for University of Florida coursework may be placed on academic probation.  
  • Academic probation will be continued for all undergraduate students as long as they have less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. It will be removed when the grade point average becomes 2.0 or higher. Should the grade point average fall far enough, the student will be dismissed based on Dismissal policy.

More Info

Academic dismissal from the university denies registration privileges to students who have a cumulative GPA at or below what is listed in the Grade Point Deficit table (given their UF Cumulative Credits). The student will be dismissed from the university and any advance registrations will be cancelled.

  • Students who are dismissed will not be permitted to enroll again unless they complete an application for readmission by the application deadline and the college approves readmission. A student who is readmitted after academic dismissal will be dismissed again if their grade point average is at or below the corresponding GPA (given their UF Cumulative Credits) indicated in the table at the end of any term.
  • UF Cumulative Credits only include credits taken toward the GPA and do not include credits for courses taken S/U, credits dropped/withdrawn resulting in a W on the transcript, or credits not counting in the UF Cumulative GPA due to repeat or non-degree policy.
  • An undergraduate student under any kind of dismissal or suspension at the University of Florida may earn credit toward a degree at the University of Florida by taking courses at another institution. Upon the student’s reinstatement to the University of Florida, the University will accept credit from courses that fall under the Florida statewide course numbering system. A reinstated student may follow standard practice of consulting the student’s degree-granting unit to consider whether credit for courses not under the state course numbering system and earned while dismissed or suspended will be accepted. Credits earned at another institution and accepted by the University of Florida will not count towards the UF GPA calculation but will factor into the student’s total credit count towards excess hours. 

Grade Point Deficits

UF Cumulative Credits Student Dismissed if GPA is Equal to or Less Than
1 N/A
2 N/A
3 N/A
4 N/A
5 N/A
6 N/A
7 N/A
8 0.12
9 0.33
10 0.50
11 0.63
12 0.75
13 0.84
14 0.92
15 1.00
16 1.06
17 1.11
18 1.16
19 1.21
20 1.25
21 1.28
22 1.31
23 1.34
24 1.37
25 1.40
26 1.42
27 1.44
28 1.46
29 1.48
30 1.50
31 1.51
32 1.53
33 1.54
34 1.55
35 1.57
36 1.58
37 1.59
38 1.60
39 1.61
40 1.62
41 1.63
42 1.64
43 1.65
44 1.65
45 1.66
46 1.67
47 1.68
48 1.68
49 1.69
50 1.70
51 1.70
52 1.71
53 1.71
54 1.72
55 1.72
56 1.73
57 1.73
58 1.74
59 1.74
60 1.75
61 1.75
62 1.75
63 1.76
64 1.76
65 1.76
66 1.77
67 1.77
68 1.77
69 1.78
70 1.78
71 1.78
72 1.79
73 1.79
74 1.79
75 1.80
76 1.80
77 1.80
78 1.80
79 1.81
80 1.81
81 1.81
82 1.81
83 1.81
84 1.82
85 1.82
86 1.82
87 1.82
88 1.82
89 1.83
90 1.83
91 1.83
92 1.83
93 1.83
94 1.84
95 1.84
96 1.84
97 1.84
98 1.84
99 1.84
100 1.85
101 1.85
102 1.85
103 1.85
104 1.85
105 1.85
106 1.85
107 1.85
108 1.86
109 1.86
110 1.86
111 1.86
112 1.86
113 1.86
114 1.86
115 1.86
116 or more 1.87

When an academic regulation appears to result in undue hardship, students may petition for waiver of the regulation. If a student wishes to appeal a decision of the University Student Petitions Committee, the student must contact the Office of the Ombuds.
More Info