About this Program
- College: Health and Human Performance
- Degree: Bachelor of Science in Health Education
- Specializations: Community Health Promotion | Health Studies
- Credits for Degree: 120
- Additional Information
- Related Health Education and Behavior Programs
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
The Bachelor of Science in Health Education degree program allows students maximum flexibility to choose department specialization coursework during the junior and senior years that relates to personal interests in the health field. Students can focus their coursework on interest areas in health education and health promotion in community, clinical or worksite settings or in health studies as they prepare for professional health occupations.
The Bachelor of Science in health education prepares students to work as a health education specialist in schools, government agencies, voluntary health organizations, philanthropic foundations, colleges and universities, private-sector industry and healthcare settings. Health education specialists improve the health and well-being of individuals, families, groups and community populations.
Grounded in social, behavioral, biological and health sciences, the curriculum develops understanding of the causes and determinants of mortality and morbidity and develops specific competencies required of entry-level health education specialists. Graduates will be eligible to take the Certified Health Education Specialist examination governed by The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Satisfactory performance on at least one major assignment or examination for each core course required for the degree, as determined by performance criteria developed specifically for the assignment.
- Satisfactory completion of the 15 credit health education internship (HSC 4876) as indicated on the final performance appraisal.
- Complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
Students in the Major Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Identify and apply theories-based strategies for assessing individual and community needs for health education/promotion.
- Identify and utilize appropriate theory-based models for planning effective health education/promotion programs.
- Identify and apply a variety of theories, models and strategies for implementing health education/promotion programs.
- Identify and apply methods and procedures appropriate for evaluating the effectiveness of health education/promotion programs.
- Coordinate the provisions of health education/promotion services.
- Describe and employ methods to obtain and disseminate health education/promotion information.
- Identify and apply the major concepts and principles related to nutrition, substance abuse, emotional health, human sexuality and environmental health.
- Examine situations, conditions and events to solve problems independently and to evaluate health education/promotion outcomes.
- Select health education/promotion programs and services based on best-evidence.
- Communicate health needs, concerns and resources to identified clients and consumers.
- Communicate health concepts and health information using a variety of channels to individuals, families and groups from diverse backgrounds in various settings.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3||SLO 4||SLO 5||SLO 6||SLO 7||SLO 8||SLO 9||SLO 10||SLO 11|
|HSC 3133||R||R||I, R||R|
|HSC 3134||R||R||R, A||I, R||R|
|HSC 3143||R||R||R, A||I, R||R|
|HSC 3201||I||I||I, A||I||I, R||I, R||I, R|
|HSC 3301||I||R, A||I|
|HSC 4302||R||R, A||R||R||R, A||R||R||R, A|
|HSC 4593||R, A||R, A||R||R||R, A||R, A|
|HSC 4624||I, R||R|
|HSC 4713||I, A||I, A||I, A||R||R, A||R, A||R||R|
|HSC 4876||R, A||I, R, A||R, A||R, A||R, A||R, A||R, A||R||A||R, A||R, A|
- Internship evaluations
- Exit survey
- Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam
- Florida Department of Health HIV/AIDS 501 Client-Centered Counseling and Testing Certificate