About this Program
- College: Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Music in Music Education
- Specializations: Choral | Instrumental
- Credits for Degree: 122 - 125
- Additional Information
- Related Music Programs
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
Music education programs are available in choral and instrumental. More than one-half of the students in the School of Music are preparing for careers as music teachers in elementary or secondary schools. In addition, undergraduates interested primarily in performance careers often take advantage of the teacher-preparation curriculum, which fulfills the educational requirements for Florida teaching certification in grades K-12, and in most other states. Programs are accredited by NASM and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
The Bachelor of Music in music education prepares students to become musicians and music teachers in a K-12 instructional setting. Through studies in conducting, rehearsal planning, teaching techniques, and theory, applied performance, music literature and history and piano, students will be able to structure and apply music for meaningful and effective music class and ensemble instruction.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Pass the General Knowledge Test and the Music (K-12) Subject Area Test of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination.
- Satisfactory faculty evaluation of a student portfolio.
- Complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
Students in the Major Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Apply pedagogical content knowledge necessary to effectively teach K-12 music classes and ensembles as an entry-level educator.
- Consistently and accurately make instructional decisions using a variety of assessment data.
- Communicate, verbally and in writing, regarding music, pedagogy, and other aspects of music learning to diverse educational stakeholders.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3|
- Student-teacher internship evaluation ratings.
- Student-teacher exit survey.