About this Program
- College: Arts
- Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Credits for Degree: 120
- Specializations: Music in Combination with an Outside Field | Music Composition | Performance: Instrumental | Performance: Vocal | Music Theory
To graduate with this major, students must complete all university, college, and major requirements.
GAINESVILLE FL 32611
Music programs are available in music in combination with an outside field, music composition, music theory, music performance: instrumental (brass, keyboard, percussion, strings, winds) and music performance: vocal. The University of Florida is accredited by NASM and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
The Bachelor of Music enables students to enter a professional career in music, to teach music privately and to achieve proficiency in a performance area such as composition, instrumental or voice. With study in theory, music literature, music history, piano and applied instruction, students learn the structure and expression of music and the historical context of musical genres. Through applied study, students develop advanced skills and can apply this knowledge through singing, performing on a musical instrument or composing a musical work and they can apply advanced critical thinking skills when hearing musical sounds.
Before Graduating Students Must
- Satisfactory faculty evaluation of a student portfolio.
- Complete requirements for the baccalaureate degree, as determined by faculty.
Students in the Major Will Learn to
Student Learning Outcomes | SLOs
- Perform at a preprofessional level on an instrument or voice.
- Utilize theoretical analysis of music.
- Write about music within different historical and cultural contexts.
I = Introduced; R = Reinforced; A = Assessed
|Courses||SLO 1||SLO 2||SLO 3|
|2000-Level Performance & Comprehensive Musicianship Juries||A|
- Rubric from the preprofessional jury.
- Final exams.