This certificate meets the needs of students who wish to add a graphic and communication design component to their current degree program in order to better understand and use these processes and practices to create effective graphic communication works.
This certificate is available to all undergraduates except those majoring in graphic design.
The curriculum guides students toward coursework the graphic design faculty considers essential to gain a better understanding of graphic design thinking, processes, methods, and practices in order to create effective graphic and communication design works. Students who complete this certificate will have a focused skillset sought by many disciplines, industries and professions.
Interested students must meet with the School of Art and Art History undergraduate advisor for more information, course planning, and to apply. Students should obtain provisional approval from the advisor prior to enrolling in certificate coursework. Formal certificate applications should be made after completion of the 2000-level coursework.
- Studio art related majors (art, art education, graphic design and visual art studies) have priority access to 2000-level certificate courses. Graphic Design Certificate students must work with the SA+AH advisor to gain access to these courses.
- 12 of the 15 total credits and all 3000-level coursework must be taken at UF.
Students should take certificate courses in the order indicated below, with all 2000-level coursework taken before 3000-level coursework. Exceptions may be made with advisor approval. Please note we generally advise students take no more than one certificate course in any given semester.
Complete the following courses before making formal application to the certificate program. It’s recommended these courses be taken before end of the sophomore year.
- ART 2305C Perceptual Drawing or a 2/3000 level drawing course focusing on sketchbook ideation and/or perception (see advisor for options); 3 credits
- GRA 2111C Visual Methods and Processes, 3 credits
- GRA 2208C Typography 1: Letterform, 3 credits
Complete after approval of formal application to the certificate program. Students should take these courses in their junior and senior years.
Back to Top
|GRA 3816C Design Thinking
|GRA 3138C Graphic Design Practice
Related Graphic Design Programs
Back to Top